Boozy Baking with Craft56° - Banana Rum Bread
To celebrate the return of Great British Bake Off tonight, we thought we would try our hand at creating our own showstoppers featuring some of our very own spirits in the recipes!
Each month we'll make a different bake or cake using one of our Scottish craft spirits.
After plenty of research and taste testing, this time we’ve chosen to start with a Banana Rum Bread recipe. Simple to make to ease ourselves in but still packs plenty of flavour. Could it be worthy of a Hollywood handshake? We’ll leave that for you to decide!
We’ve included our recipe below, so feel free to join in and impress your own judges (aka friends and family) with this beginner-friendly bake!
Banana Rum Bread using Banoffee Rum from Solway Spirits
What better way to make your own twist on the classic banana bread by adding a dash of rum? Beginner-friendly yet sure to impress, the spices of the rum in this recipe compliment the sweetness of the bananas perfectly and are a great way to use up any overripe bananas too.
We were spoilt for choice when it came to deciding which of our craft rums to choose from. Eventually, we opted for Solway Spirits’ Banoffee Rum for its smooth and warming taste which made it the perfect choice for our Banana Rum Bread!
Based in their micro distillery in south west Scotland, Solway Spirits use the best quality ingredients from British suppliers and whenever possible will use locally foraged botanicals to create their luxuriously smooth spirits.
- 125g unsalted butter
- 165g brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 2 mashed bananas
- 50ml (3tbsp) rum
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160° fan). Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line the base and sides with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer until light and creamy (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add in the eggs one at a time to the mixture.
- Gradually and gently fold in the flour and bicarbonate soda to the mixture using a wooden spoon or spatula until fully combined.
- Then, add the mashed bananas and rum into the mixing bowl until everything has combined.
- Pour mixture into loaf tin and place into oven for about 50 minutes – 1 hour. (Inspired by the Bake Off, you can check if your cake is ready by inserting a skewer into the centre. If it comes back out clean, it’s ready!)
- Take your banana rum bread out of the oven and leave to cool in the tin. Then all that’s left to do is enjoy it!
We hope this recipe has helped to get you in the baking spirit ahead of the first episode tonight. If so, then why not give it a go? Feel free to try your hand at baking your own Banana Rum Bread.
We’d love to see how they turn out, so make sure to tag us and let us see your showstoppers! To get started, get your bottle of Solway Spirits Banoffee Rum today.